[MITgcm-support] some very basic questions

Gerard C Nihous nihous at hawaii.edu
Wed May 10 16:14:29 EDT 2006

Dear MITgcm Project Team,

I have been looking for an OGCM to support some research on the potential interaction between proposed technologies such as Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) on a massive scale and the oceanic structure of the ocean. A simplistic one-dimensional analysis has suggested some interesting possibilities. Per se, this is a very ambitious long-term goal that could involve multiple scales. The simplest simulation would consist in placing one fluid source and two fluid sinks at specified depths over a specified latitude-longitude area. Funding, support etc. needs to be determined later once a coherent research proposal is articulated. That task has just begun.

In the meantime, I was wondering if the 4 degree oceanic circulation you have as an example on the mitgcm web site could be run on a single 1.7 GHz PC (Windows XP operating system) by someone (me) without experience. I do write code routinely, but the ancient way (DOS line editing, FORTRAN) and without extensive file manipulations - that's the extent of my programming knowledge.

I appreciate your feedback and guidance,

Gerard C. Nihous, Ph.D.

Hawaii Natural Energy Institute
School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology
University of Hawaii at Manoa
1680 East-West Road, POST 122
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
USA