[MITgcm-support] kpp

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 16 13:57:57 EST 2006

> Is it possible to turn everything else in KPP off (except fast mixing at
> Ri<0) ? How do I set the parameters for that?

Dmitri, I assume you mean gradient (shear instability) as opposed to bulk
(boundary layer depth) Richardson number in KPP formulation.

You can turn off KPP PBL mixing by setting
  #undef KPP_GHAT"
in KPP_OPTIONS.h prior to compiling the code and
  difmcon = 0
  difscon = 0
  diftcon = 0
in the runtime data.kpp file.

You can turn off background vertical mixing by setting
  viscAr  = 0
  diffKrT = 0
  diffKrS = 0

Double diffusive KPP mixing is not implemented in MITgcm.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology