[MITgcm-support] changing the number of tiles

Paola Cessi pcessi at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 8 14:51:42 EST 2006

Thanks Stephanie. However that did not work for me. The model has 30
levels, and the merging was only done for the 448x896 grid at one level (I
think). The total number of data should be 448x896x30.

Is there a way to have joinmds merge all levels so that all the data are
merged? Below is the output from joinmds that I got.

Notice that joinmds reads only a fraction of the pickup files, which are
97542144 bytes long, not 401408 bytes. However, there was an error warnign
which I do not understand. Any help on how to fix it? Or is there a new
version of joinmds that you can send me?

Thanks, paola

bash-2.05b$ ~/MITgcm/utils/scripts/joinmds pickup 0000240000
Name "main::nrecords_" used only once: possible typo at
/spin/home/cessi/MITgcm/utils/scripts/joinmds line 182.
There are 8 datasets.
All existing meta files are self- and mutually consistent.
Datasets are complete.
Current machine's endianness: little-endian
pickup.0000240000.001.001.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
pickup.0000240000.001.002.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
pickup.0000240000.001.003.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
pickup.0000240000.001.004.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
pickup.0000240000.001.005.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
pickup.0000240000.001.006.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
pickup.0000240000.001.007.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
pickup.0000240000.001.008.data: 401408 bytes, okay, merged from .
Global data (448x896) is in ./pickup.0000240000.data (endianness is
big-endian).

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Stephanie Dutkiewicz wrote:

> Paola -
> I usually join the files with the script:
> utils/script/joinmds
>
>> joinmds pickup 0000003200
>

> steph
>
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Paola Cessi wrote:
>
>> Hi Jean-Michel, is the step of reassembling the pickup files into a single
>> file necessary? I am asking because I cannot do it in Matlab, given the
>> size of my files. Do you have an alternative suggestion that is not as
>> memory intensive? Thanks,
>>
>> paola
>>
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Jean-Michel Campin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Paola,
>>>
>>> The thing that I do generally, in this case, is to read
>>> all the tile-files (in matlab, with rdmds), and then
>>> I just write the output from rdmds to a binary file:
>>>
>>> namfil='pickup.0000003200';
>>> va=rdmds(namfil);
>>> wrfile=[namfil,'.data'];
>>> fid=fopen(wrfile,'w','b');