[MITgcm-support] reducing vertical mixing

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri Jun 23 09:03:41 EDT 2006

Eli,

did you get an answer to this?

you can add diffusivity a la Bryan&Lewis1979 (parameters are
diffKrBL79surf/deep/Ho/scl, see PARAMS.h), but that's again one
vertical profile for all grid points.

For local tuning I can't think of anything "nice" to do, but here's
how to do it in a dirty way:
in pkg/kpp_calc.F look for the following block near the end
c-----------------------------------------------------------------------
c     zero out land values and transfer to global variables
c-----------------------------------------------------------------------

       DO j = jmin, jmax
        DO i = imin, imax
         DO k = 1, Nr
          KPPviscAz(i,j,k,bi,bj) = vddiff(i,j,k-1,1) * maskC
(i,j,k,bi,bj)
          KPPdiffKzS(i,j,k,bi,bj)= vddiff(i,j,k-1,2) * maskC
(i,j,k,bi,bj)
          KPPdiffKzT(i,j,k,bi,bj)= vddiff(i,j,k-1,3) * maskC
(i,j,k,bi,bj)
          KPPghat(i,j,k,bi,bj)   = ghat(i,j,k)       * maskC
(i,j,k,bi,bj)
         END DO
         KPPhbl(i,j,bi,bj) = hbl(i,j) * maskC(i,j,1,bi,bj)
        END DO
       END DO

and stick in you viscosities/diffusivities according to the
coordinates where you want to tune the mixing, the coordinate arrays
are xC and yC for the tracer points, defined in GRID.h

M.