[MITgcm-support] Re: Some questions

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 5 13:25:27 EDT 2006

Hi Liuyu, it's best to address your mitgcm support questions on the
mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org mailing list, so that other can help and/or benefit.

> Hi Menemenlis,
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> The attached file is one image of my results, is it correct?

Yes.

> what is the
> longitude and latitude range for these 6 tiles?

Output files XC.data and YC.data contain respectively, the longitude and the
latitude for tracer points.  You can read and look at them with same program
that you used to plot AREAtave

> How can I plot the sea ice
> field of Arctic Ocean in a more beatiful way?

The matlab script that you used shows you the format of input files, how to read
model output files, and simple plotting.  After that, beauty is in the eye of
the beholder.

> What is the initial sea ice field, Does it run from no ice?

Initial ice field is set to 1.0 m thickness everywhere.  This is not very
realistic, it is only meant to test the code.

> I think 20step*1200s is not enough to get an equilibrium,  how many steps
> will it need ?

Depends what you want to equilibrate.  The full-depth ocean can take up to 3000
to equilibrate.

> How can I use the NCEP reanalysis data as the atomsphere forces?

The 510*510*6*50 cubed sphere example that follows uses NCEP reanalysis.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology