[MITgcm-support] synchronous vs asynchronous integrations

David Wang dwang at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 2 11:40:19 EDT 2006

Hello,

I ran two model runs with the same configuration, the same initial
fields and the same surface forcing fields, but different timesteps (one
is sychronous: deltaT = 3600s; another is asynchronous: deltaTmom =
900s, deltaTtracer = deltrTClock = 10800s). They give considerably
different results, which is not what I expected. Of course I prefer the
asychronous one since it takes much less integration time, but the
differences make me to doubt the integrity of these runs.

The model domain is the tropical pacific. The initial fields are
climatological potential temp and salinity. The model is forced by
climatological monthly forcings. kpp, gmredi, rbcs packages are used.

I'm attaching my data namelist file and a plot of momKE_ave timeseries
over the first model year (which is to show how different they are. blue
is the sychronous run and red is the asychronous run). The temperature
field snapshots at the end of the first model year also differ, esp.
near the equator.

If anyone would have any ideas on what might go wrong, plz let me know.
Thanks very much.

- d.