[MITgcm-support] Re: viscosity questions

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 6 16:24:53 EDT 2006

Hi Van Thinh,
   4 should be OK.  The magnitude of the viscC2Leith is supposed to
set the typical lengthscale of viscous dissipation of relative
vorticity versus the gridscale.  A value of 4 should (in theory) mean
that there is a substantial amount of viscous dissipation of
vorticity for lengthscales that are smaller than 4 grid lengths long.
   So, 4 should be OK, but a bit on the high side.  However,
considering the noise inherent in C-grids, etc., that may be the what
is needed.
   There is the issue that the Leith scaling is really only
appropriate for lengthscales *within the inertial cascade of
enstrophy range*, that is, for scales smaller than the typical eddy
scale.  Setting the Leith scale to be 1/2 a degree is pushing this
limit a bit, but is probably OK anyway, since the Leith scaling is
only a scaling, and there is potentially a nondimensional factor that
depends upon the discretization, etc. that isn't included.  I am
working on clarifying this point, but haven't done all the
simulations necessary to show it yet.
   You can check out the validity of the last point in your
particular simulation by comparing the momentum equation
diagnostics.  You can check to see whether the viscous and advective
terms are of the same magnitude for only the smallest scale features
in your simulation.  There should be 'big eddies' which have larger
advective fluxes than viscous fluxes, and 'gridscale eddies or
gridscale noise' where the viscous and advective terms are of the
same size.
    If you really want to get quantitative, you can do a power
spectrum of the viscous tendency terms and of the advective tendency
terms in some subdomain of your simulation where the turbulence is
roughly homogeneous.  The length scale at which the viscous flux
divergence spectral density equals the advective spectral density
should be what is tuned by the magnitude of viscC2Leith.  Be careful
NOT to include boundary currents in the subdomain...
   Cheers,
     -Baylor