[MITgcm-support] Rotated axes

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Jan 31 09:59:23 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 08:25 -0600, Pat Gallacher wrote:
> Can the x-y axes for MITgcm be rotated with respect to latitude and
> longitude? I haven't found anything about this in the documentation.

Hi Pat,

Yes, coordinates certainly can be rotated although its not a very common
configuration and it may, depending on the way you intend to do it,
require a slight change in the model to get the Coriolis terms computed
correctly.  This can be done in:

  MITgcm/model/src/ini_cori.F

which is a very straight-forward subroutine.

Also, in MITgcm, grids can be much more than simple lat-lon or Cartesian
coordinate systems--they can be general curvilinear coordinates which
allow a lot of flexibility in the placement of model resolution.  There
is a description of the various grid options in the manual starting at:

  http://mitgcm.org/r2_web_testing/latest/online_documents/node46.html

And, if you describe the scenario that you're trying to model, we can
help steer you towards appropriate grid options.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307