[MITgcm-support] problem running verification

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jan 25 12:25:53 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 12:04 -0500, Jaime Palter wrote:
> *****************
> Yes, this is why we rebuilt the windx.sin_y file (and topog.box file) just
> in case the binaries weren't compatible. However, they still didn't work.
> Indeed, since we are a sun sparc, it seems we shouldn't need to regenerate
> these in any case. Are there other input files (perhaps not in the
> input directory) that the experiment is using that might not be
> compatible?

Hi Jamie,

You should never have to manually byte-swap any of the input files.
Thats the model's job!  What you should be do instead is to look
carefully at the "optfile" that you're currently using to see what
compiler, compiler flags, defines, etc. are set.  And then change them,
if necessary.

> > So, what sort of Sun do you have?  Suns with Sparc chips are big-endian
> > and need no byte-swapping.  The new Suns with AMD Opteron chips are
> > little-endian (same as Intel) and need byte-swapping.
>
> ***********
> Everything else I see is an ascii file and is thus ok.

Yes!

> >   http://mitgcm.org/testing.html
> ***********
> I checked out this site, but couldn't find an answer to this problem

Again, the *key* thing is your options file.  Could you please send it
to this list so we can see which compiler, compiler options, defines,
etc. you're using?  If you aren't sure which optfile you're using then
please look at the text output from genmake2 which will tell you.

And, looking at our testing page, you can usually find out which
optfiles were used for which machines.  That way, you can see how to
mimic our (usually successful!) test/verification runs on varous
machines.  For example, find the lines for the Sun Sparc machines
"model" and "rays1" at:

  http://mitgcm.org/testing.html

and then click on the "summary.txt" links toward the end of each line.
At the top of the summary file, there is usually a line that says:

  OPTFILE=.......

and then you can see which optfile was used *if* it was one of the
standard ones.  And, usually, it is.  In the case of the "model"
machine, the optfile used is the standard one located at:

  MITgcm/tools/build_options/sunos_sun4u_mpf77+mpi_sunfire

Note that this optfile may be a good one for you to use as a "starting
point" when customizing it for your machine since it is also a Sun Sparc
architecture (and perhaps has the same compiler).

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307