[MITgcm-support] horizontal viscosity in variable grid size

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 3 09:40:56 EST 2006

Hi Hezi,
   You'll note from the manual that there is still no vertical viscosity
Smagorinsky-parameterization in the MITgcm.  Thus, the implementation
is only partially what Smagorinsky 1993 suggests (although I believe it
is the same as is used in MOM and POP).  This is probably not a
terribly big deal at 2000m, where horizontal viscosities will likely
dominate, but at 450m this could be an issue...
    Sometime soon I'll implement the vertical viscosity, too...
    -Baylor