[MITgcm-support] How to reduce a reflection wave from OBCs!

Van Thinh Nguyen vtnguyen at moisie.math.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 10 15:25:54 EST 2006

Dear all,

I would like to simulate internal waves generated by tidal forcing over
a depression bump in a open channel (opened at east & west). My case is
similar to exp4, but it's limited in 2D. The tidal current is from the
East to West with u=Uo*sin(omega*t). At west and east OBCs I set:

OBWu=Uo*sin(omega*t)
OBWv=0.
OBWt=tRef
OBWs=sRef

OBWw=0. for nonhydrostatic
OBWeta=Eta=0.

At Eastern OBC is set the same above.

I extended the length of domain from 60km, 120km, ...
the depth of domain H=80m (shallow), depth of bump=50%*H.

I got refection waves from both OBCs, because Temperature profile
(linearized in depth) is fixed at these OBCs (always =tRef), however the
temperature profile in inner domain has changed.

Anyone may have an idea to help me to fix this problem?

Thanks so much for your helps,

Van Thinh