[MITgcm-support] compile-run error due to gcc update?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Feb 10 10:58:42 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 09:30 -0500, Sergey Vinogradov wrote:
> Ed:
> Below is the uname and df log.
> I don't really understand the purpose of umask, I did umask 0002 and
> it didn't change anything. I think I have no problems with
> permissions, as I could mkdir etc.

Hi Sergey,

Sorry, this is frustrating!  Within the genmake2 script, there is a
routine that collects and makes unique the list of all linked files.
And it does so by creating a temporary dir, touch-ing files within that
dir, and then checking whether touch-ed files can be read (thus checking
for existence).  The sequence can be tested with these commands:

  mkdir ./.tmp_dir  &&  echo "OK 1"
  touch ./.tmp_dir/a_file  &&  echo "OK 2"
  echo "hi" > ./.tmp_dir/b_file  &&  echo "OK 3"
  test -r ./.tmp_dir/a_file  &&  echo "OK 4"
  test ! -r ./.tmp_dir/a_file  &&  echo "BAD 4"
  test -r ./.tmp_dir/b_file  &&  echo "OK 5"
  test ! -r ./.tmp_dir/b_file  &&  echo "BAD 5"
  rm -rf ./.tmp_dir  &&  echo "OK 6"

For reasons that I unfortunately cannot see first-hand (since I'd need
an account there), your system is failing one or more of the above
stages.  And its *really* odd because the *exact* same code works nicely
on literally hundreds of different systems/OSes/etc.  By changing the
umask value to bad (that is, very unreasonable) values, I can create
similar problems to what you report.  But that doesn't prove that its
failing in exactly the same way -- it just shows that it *can* fail due
to bad permissions and/or umask values.

So, here are our options:

 - Could you please run (that us, cut-and paste into a
   bash shell) all the commands above and send me the output?
   That'll give me some clue as to whats happening.

 - If possible, can you get me an account on the system?  This
   is probably the quickest way for me to see exactly what the
   problem is instead of us playing 20-questions.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307