[MITgcm-support] Re: non-MDSIO input files

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Aug 10 15:15:02 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 11:22 -0700, Dmitri Leonov wrote:
> Hello Ed,
>
> Thanks for the info. I can turn on option 1 or 3. The only question is
> how to generate the input files (using matlab or otherwise).
> Could you point me to some examples?

Hi Dmitris,

Attached is a MatLAB script that can generate correctly formatted files
for the tile*.mitgrid format and the equivalent netCDF representation.

The script can do more than just write files, however.  It can also
generate an entire grid (that is, compute the 16 basic grid quantities)
from an array of 3D corner point locations.

> For a serial 1-tile run I can modify the wrong 'grid.t001.nc' file and
> restart the model with readgrid_mnc turned on. Will that work? How do I
> use readgrid_mnc with multiple tiles?

I don't understand the above paragraph.  What do you mean by the "modify
the wrong..." comment?  If you try to restart with different grids then
things will be wrong since the areas, lengths, etc. have all changed and
that will destroy various things such as conservation of mass, heat,
etc.  But you can do it if the grids are the same size/shape.  And the
solution on one grid may be a reasonable starting point on a similar
grid.  But maybe thats not what you're trying to do?

Can you provide a more concrete example of what you're trying to
accomplish?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464