[MITgcm-support] How to build a regional ocean and sea ice coupled model for Arctic

jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de jschwarz at awi-bremerhaven.de
Thu Aug 3 17:05:54 EDT 2006

Hi Liuyu,

I've only just started mitgcm myself, so these are some tips from a complete beginner, not an expert!

Please accept my aplogies if this is all stuff you know, but your email sounded like i felt when i started - 'where do i start?'!

- you may like to look in /verification/lab_sea for an example of a setup that uses some open boundaries
and sea-ice.  There's no documentation of this in the manual (the manual is available in pdf format on the mitgcm website
under 'documentation'), however, so i found it helpful to read through and run some of the other examples that are described quite fully in chapter 3.

- to use open boundary conditions, you need the package obcs active.  See chapter 6 of the manual for info on
using packages.  There's no manual documentation of obcs though, so you need to look into the code to get an idea
of how it works (/model/pkg/obcs)

- i've never used the cubed sphere so sorry, no idea whether you have to tell the model explicitly what your lat/lon
grid is like.  For non-cubed-sphere runs, use delX, dXSpacing or delXFile (and similar for Y) in file /yourrun/input/data and /yourrun/code/SIZE.h is where you specify grid dimensions.
There's probably an example in /verification for the cubed-sphere though, and certainly there's info on it in the manual
in chapter 6.18.  See /verification/.../gendata.m for examples of writing delXFile, as well as all the examples in chapter 3.

-to set up forcing data, it's easiest to refer to the /verification examples of 'gendata.m'.  These are matlab files for
generating input files, which are in binary format. See the examples in chapter 3 for an idea of what forcing data you need for different run types, and see /verification/lab_sea as well as files in /model/pkg/seaice and manual chapter 6.7 for an idea of what you need for seaice.  If your institute doesn't have forcing data available, you can get a lot of climatological and time-series stuff from WOCE (eWOCE), NCEP/NCAR and ECMWF online, for free.  Also bathymetry from GEBCO and ETOPO2 (beware the mysterious line at 72S and the Amundsen/Bellingshausen imaginary cliff in ETOPO2!).

Hope this helps a little!
jill.