[MITgcm-support] Sea Ice Experiment

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Apr 29 08:53:43 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 08:58 +0000, Amitabh Mitra wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I added the word -traditional in my optfile.
> But it has no effect on the error produced earlier.
> I agree with you that the error is produced in the
> calendar package, because it is the first one to be
> processed.
>     Moreover the computer is not able to recognise the
> traditional flag. I think some other correction is
> required for tackling this error.

Hi Amitabh,

As Patrick said, it looks you've encountered a C-preprocessor (cpp)
problem.  MITgcm works best with the Gnu cpp and we occasionally have
problems with older (usually proprietary) C-preprocessors as you're
seeing.

So, do you gave the Gnu compiler (gcc) installed on that system?  GCC is
free (and Free!) and has been ported to basically every Unix-like
system.  If you have gcc, then you can use it in its C-preprocessor-only
mode with the -E option:

  CPP="/path/to/your/gcc -E -traditional"

and that should work.  And if gcc isn't installed on that system, then
please contact the system administrator.  There are readily available
source packages and some pre-built GCC binaries for a large number of
systems (including SGI Origin 2000 machines which is what yours appears
to be):

  http://gcc.gnu.org/
  ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-3.4.4/
  http://www.intrepid.com/?q=node/11/print

And if you can't get sysadmin help, then you can build custom versions
of GCC in your home directory and use them.  It relatively easy (I've
done it many times) -- just follow their directions for custom builds
with local installs.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD