[MITgcm-support] Choosing coordinate system for Adriatic sea

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Thu Apr 13 15:17:41 EDT 2006

Hi Andrea,

you should base your decision between cartesian and spherical grids
on whether you think that the curvature of the earth matters for your
problem. The ratio of 800km/6371km = 0.1256 may be small but I would
probably use spherical coordinates.
 From a technical point of view, as Ed pointed out, there are no
special difficulties of the spherical grid compared to the cartesian
grid.

Martin