[MITgcm-support] Choosing coordinate system for Adriatic sea

Andrea Cimatoribus sambarluc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 10:10:40 EDT 2006

Hi, I am writing again after some time, as I am working again at the
OGS (trieste-Italy) to set up a model for the Adriatic Sea.
I would like to have a tip about what coordinate system I should use.
Adriatic sea is approximately a rectangle 800x300km pointing NW-SE
(about 45° from the north), so we wanted to rotate axis to save
computing time.
The questions are:
- should we use cartesian or spherical coordinates (we have always
used Cartesian coordinates, but on a smaller domain)?
- is there any difference in the output using one or the other?
- is there any problem in modifing ini_cori.F to rotate axis?

Thanks!
Andrea Cimatoribus