[MITgcm-support] Re:How to reduce a reflection wave from OBCs!

Pat Gallacher gallachr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Mon Apr 3 09:20:10 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am having problems with internal waves reflecting off the open
boundaries in the MITgcm code. I'd appreciate a copy of your code to
address the problem.

Thanks,
Pat

Patrick C. Gallacher, PhD    gallacher at nrlssc.navy.mil
Oceanographer    Nonhydrostatic Coastal Ocean Modeling
Naval Research Laboratory        Phone: (228) 688-5315
Code 7331                    Secretary: (228) 688-4733
Stennis Space Center, MS 39529     FAX: (228) 688-5997

Samar Khatiwala wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just to add to this discussion ... radiation BCs are definitely the
> way to go. (As one of the
> developers of the Orlanski package, I would of course say that.) But
> its not foolproof. For the
> barotropically forced internal wave problem, it took some serious
> effort to get the waves to
> radiate out correctly (i.e., make it compare favorably with
> analytical solutions). This is documented
> in a 2003 DSR paper on internal tide generation:
> http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~spk/Papers/KhatiwalaInternalTidesDSR03.pdf
>
> Last I looked, the basic orlanski code does not have the various
> hacks needed to radiate out
> only the "baroclinic" component. It took some doing to get this
> right. If people don't want to reinvent
> the wheel, I'll be happy to post this code somewhere. There is also
> code to compute topographic
> drag etc. (taking into account the lopped cell topo, subtracting out
> the barotropic component, ...).
>
> Samar
>
> On Feb 11, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Jennifer MacKinnon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been struggling with similar issues regarding internal waves
>> and boundary conditions.  My solution so far is to clamp the
>> barotropic velocities to be whatever you like (a simple sinusoid in
>> your case), but allow baroclinic velocities as well as T and S to
>> radiate internal-waves out of the domain using the Orlanski
>> radiation option.  This requires a little bit of monkeying with
>> orlanski_west.F and orlanski_east.F, but is fairly  straightforward.
>> Let me know if you'd like a copy of my modified  files.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jen

>> Dr. Jennifer MacKinnon
>> Physical Oceanography Research Division
>> Scripps Institution of Oceanography
>> http://www-pord.ucsd.edu/~jen/
>> 858-822-3716
>>

>>> From: Van Thinh Nguyen <vtnguyen at moisie.math.uwaterloo.ca>
>>> Date: February 10, 2006 12:25:54 PM PST
>>> To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
>>> Subject: [MITgcm-support] How to reduce a reflection wave from OBCs!
>>>

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I would like to simulate internal waves generated by tidal forcing
>>> over a depression bump in a open channel (opened at east & west).
>>> My case is similar to exp4, but it's limited in 2D. The tidal
>>> current is from the East to West with u=Uo*sin(omega*t). At west
>>> and east OBCs I set:
>>>
>>> OBWu=Uo*sin(omega*t)
>>> OBWv=0.
>>> OBWt=tRef
>>> OBWs=sRef
>>>
>>> OBWw=0. for nonhydrostatic
>>> OBWeta=Eta=0.
>>>
>>> At Eastern OBC is set the same above.
>>>
>>> I extended the length of domain from 60km, 120km, ...
>>> the depth of domain H=80m (shallow), depth of bump=50%*H.
>>>
>>> I got refection waves from both OBCs, because Temperature profile
>>> (linearized in depth) is fixed at these OBCs (always =tRef),
>>> however the temperature profile in inner domain has changed.
>>>
>>> Anyone may have an idea to help me to fix this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for your helps,
>>>
>>> Van Thinh
>>>

>>> From: Dmitri Leonov <dleonov at ocean.washington.edu>
>>> Date: February 10, 2006 12:51:35 PM PST
>>> To: mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org
>>> Subject: Re: [MITgcm-support] How to reduce a reflection wave from
>>> OBCs!
>>>

>>> Hello Van Thinh,
>>>
>>> I've used sponge boundary conditions for a similar problem. My
>>> data.obcs file looks like this
>>>
>>> &OBCS_PARM01
>>> OB_Iwest=1,
>>> OB_Ieast=-1,