[MITgcm-support] help with g77 or gfortran compiling on OSX

Jennifer MacKinnon jmackinn at ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 2 19:47:11 EDT 2006

Hi,

I've been successfully using the MITGCM on a linux cluster, and am
now trying to get it up and running on my Mac Powerbook G4 OSX
(Darwin)  I've tried two different Fortran compilers - gfortran and
g77.  With gfortran, the model compiles fine, but seems unable to
work with NetCDF (enable mnc) options - while running genmake 2 it
says " Can we create NetCDF-enabled binaries...  no".  I switched to
g77 and it suddenly is able to create netCDF-enabled binaries, but
has another problem (Can we register a signal handler using g77...
no), and fails to compile.  I'm wondering if I'm just not using the
correct flags, I've gotten a little confused looking for other
examples of optfiles.  Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm currently using something like

#!/bin/bash

CPP='/usr/bin/cpp -traditional -P'
FC=g77   (or gfortran)
LINK=g77 (or gfortran)
NOOPTFLAGS='-O0'
LIBS="-L/Users/jen/Library/netcdf-3.6.1/lib -lnetcdf"
INCLUDES="-I/Users/jen/Library/netcdf-3.6.1/include"

DEFINES='-DWORDLENGTH=4'

S64='$(TOOLSDIR)/set64bitConst.sh'
MAKEDEPEND='makedepend'

FOPTIM='-O0'
FFLAGS='-Wimplicit -Wunused -Wuninitialized'

thanks,

jen mackinnon

Dr. Jennifer MacKinnon
Physical Oceanography Research Division