[MITgcm-support] output of turbulent kinetic energy: TKE or QQAVE!

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Sep 16 10:54:32 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 09:58 -0400, Van Thinh Nguyen wrote:
> Dear MITgcm-supporters & users!
>
> I would like to output turbulent kinetic energy, then I used TKE or QQAVE
> in the diagnostic pkg. For both parameters I got the same error
>
> "TKE or QQAVE  is not a Diagnostic"
>
> I read QQAVE from old MITgcm documentation and TKE from an email of Dimittris
> Please let me know if these parameters are removed from diagnostic pkg.

Hi Van Thinh,

When you run MITgcm with diagnostics enabled, it outputs a file called
"available_diagnostics.log" and this is the list of whats available.

If you need diagnostics that aren't available in that list, then you
need to either implement them yourself (remember, we supply everyone
with the full source code) or you need to convince someone else to
implement them for you.  Since everyone is busy with their own research,
most MITgcm developers have only *limited* time for requests.  So,
ultimately, its best if you can read the source code (which is a rich
source of examples!) and figure out how to implement the features that
you really want/need.

And if you do implement a new feature or package, then we're always more
than happy to help include it into MITgcm.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307