[MITgcm-support] a problem with EXF

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Sep 7 20:03:58 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 16:24 -0400, Matthew Mazloff wrote:

> I am a bit surprised; I just looked at the EXF & MNC package and I
> don't the model is able to read in NetCDF format input files.  Maybe
> someone in the know can tell us what the status is of using NetCDF
> input.

Hi Matt, Ming, etc.

The netCDF bits (the mnc package) is not (yet) a complete drop-in
replacement for mdsio and rw.  Heres the current status:

 DONE or mostly done:
  + write "state" or snapshot (dumpFreq) output:  DONE
     (with a few exceptions such as some of the coupler bits)
  + write monitor output:  mostly DONE
  + write timeave output:  mostly DONE
  + write diagnostics & diagstats output:  DONE
  + read and write pickups:  mostly DONE (needs some testing)

 to-do or in-progress:
  - TODO:  read forcing files -- only just starting to write this!
  - read grid information:  partly done
  - TODO:  read "global" (per-face) files
  - TODO:  CF compliance
  - TODO:  Balaji's "supergrid" CF-extensions

and there are a number of smaller issues (eg. proper handling of
coordinate variables) that also need to be sorted out.

If there is some critical part that needs to be converted quickly then
contact me and I'll do what I can to get it working.  Also, I'll be glad
to help others get up to speed with the use of mnc in order to help them
get their parts or packages working with it.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307