[MITgcm-support] KPP diffusivities

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 31 19:41:34 EST 2005

> at least at first sight,
> those peaks did not seem to be correlated with bottom velocities (which are
> also very very small, expecially before the wind event)

Not bottom velocity, but vertical shear divided by stratification the
quantity that matters.

> Martin, maybe the KPP scheme can't be applied to such a kind of configuration
> (I hope it can, also because I think that vertical variability in turbulence
> parameters can be very useful to my studies...).

I asked question to Bill Large once ... he said KPP was designed to work
independent of vertical discretization.  But I don't think that he had
the regime that you are working in in mind.

D.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology