[MITgcm-support] C-D scheme etc.

David Wang dwang at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Oct 26 01:03:02 EDT 2005

Hello folks,

I have a couple of issues to make sure in the case you may help to clarify.
****
1). It is said in the manual, to run the model at a sufficiently
coarse/*//*/ resolution, one will need the C-D scheme for the
computation of the Coriolis terms. And the parameter tauCD (C-D scheme
coupling timescale in second) needs to be set. my question is: how
coarse is "sufficiently coarse? what about 1-by-1 degree? 1-by-0.3
degree? Does it have any side-effect? is it sensitive to tauCD?

2). I’m wondering if there is any simple way, without writing out the
entire three-dimensional variable fields, to monitor the evolution of
such time series as the NINO3 index, the EUC transport at a particular
longitude etc.

3). I checked out available_diagnostics.log and didn’t find diagnostics
for PP81 vertical viscosity/diffusivity (KPP does have though). I know
they can be computed externally using uvel, vvel, \theta, \alpha \nu0
etc., but is there any alternative means to make them available?

Thanks a lot,
- D.W.**

--
Daiwei (David) Wang    Graduate Student
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University