[MITgcm-support] netcdf output

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 25 10:58:02 EDT 2005

Jaime,
   Make sure you

>  include mnc in ./code/packages.conf

Also, make sure that when you call genmake that it's actually seeing
the right packages.conf.  I usually use a shell script to compile in
the build directory.  It does the following.

make CLEAN
ROOTDIR=~baylor/Research/MITgcm.checking
export ROOTDIR
$ROOTDIR/tools/genmake2 -mods=../code
-optfile=$ROOTDIR/tools/build_options/darw
in_ppc_g77
make depend
make -j 2

The critical thing here is to make sure that you're using the
-mods=../code.

You can check to see whether its working when genmake runs.  It will
spit out something like 'enabling packages' and then ALLOW_MNC should
be in the list.

-Baylor

On Oct 25, 2005, at 10:49 AM, Jaime Palter wrote:

> Hi David, Baylor,
> Thanks for the advice.  I tried your suggestions, but I am now getting
> an
> error message
>
> useMNC is TRUE and #undef ALLOW_MNC
>
> Do you recognize the error?  I haven't been able to find its source.
> Thanks again,
> Jaime
>
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, David Wang wrote:
>
>> Hi Jaime,
>>
>> You need mnc package to deal with netcdf input/output, which by
>> default
>>   will not go into effect unless you
>>
>> 1). include mnc in ./code/packages.conf
>> 2). include useMNC=.TRUE., in data.pkg
>> 3). create a data.mnc
>>
>> You may checkout the verification case lobal_ocean.90x40x15.
>> That's all that I know so far, I'm also a beginner.
>>
>> -D.W.
>>
>> Jaime Palter wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am getting started with MITgcm and I can't seem to get the output
>>> save as netcdf.  The verification experiments are running fine,
>>> except
>>> for this one glitch: no mnc output.  I think I have all the necessary
>>> libraries.  When I run genmake2, the following message prints to