[MITgcm-support] SSH drift and obcs again

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon Oct 24 04:36:40 EDT 2005

Hi Tom,

if you turn of the nothern obcs (or the entire package) without closing
your boundaries, the model by default assumes cyclic/periodic boundary
conditions, so I am not surprised that your case ii, iii, if you use
the same bathymetry file.

As for iv, I always had the feeling that there is something fishy going
on at the corners. Many values are prescribed twice, first for the
zonal boundaries then for the meridional boundaries in obcs_apply_ts.
Also, at the corner points there should the horizontal velocities
should have no divergence, otherwise you always prescribe a non-zero
vertical velocity there, which could be the source of your problems?
For example, assume a south-west corner at 1,1. Then for each layer
first
u(1,1) = obsu(1)
v(1,2) = obsv(1)
v(1,1) = obsv(1)
and then
u(2,1)=obwu(1)
u(1,1)=obwu(1)
v(1,1)=obwv(1)
In order to ensure non-divergence (and thus zero vertical velocities),
you must have at all levels
u(2,1)=u(1,1) => obwu(1) = obsu(1)
v(1,2)=v(1,1) => obwv(1) = obsv(1)
which is not automatically guaranteed in the code, and I don't see how
that can be done in a general way (because the corner could be anywhere
in the domain). So you'll have to take care of that when you create the
boundary conditions values.
However, I am sure that you've already thought about that already, ...

Martin

On Oct 22, 2005, at 10:23 PM, Thomas Haine wrote:

> No, there's no wall in my bathy file although most of the northern
> domain is blocked.
>
> Tom.
>
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 13:12 -0700, Chris Hill wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>>   When you turn off norther edges obcs (ii) do you put a wall at the
>> northern edge?
>>
>> Chris
>> Thomas Haine wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I've been able to isolate the SSH drift/obc issue I reported a few
>>> weeks
>>> ago to a specific part of the code. My expertise is dwindling as I
>>> get
>>> deeper in, so maybe someone else can help:
>>>
>>> Configuration: checkpoint57p_post, GFDL ic., linear free sfc, seaice
>>> off, evap and precip off, obc sponge off, obc orlanski off. Realistic
>>> Denmark Strait bathy. at 2km resolution and open bdys at (parts of)
>>> all
>>> 4 walls. I've corrected the OBCS_BALANCE code to zero the net