[MITgcm-support] getting rid of salinity

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Sat Oct 22 13:05:15 EDT 2005

Hi Nicolas,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 05:10:27PM -0400, Nicolas Wienders wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Dmitri Leonov wrote:
>
> >Hi Nicolas,
> >
> >There are parameters saltStepping, saltAdvection and saltForcing
> >(in &PARM01 in 'data' file). They all can be set to .FALSE. - in my
> >chase it's temperature that's turned off.
> >- see model/src/ini_params.f
>

> Just tried:
>
> (PID.TID 0000.0001)
> (PID.TID 0000.0001) S/R INI_PARMS ; starts to read PARM01
> (PID.TID 0000.0001) S/R INI_PARMS ; read PARM01 : OK
> S/R INI_PARMS: "saltDiffusion" is no longer allowed in file "data"
> S/R INI_PARMS: to turn off diffusion => set diffusivity to zero

It's seems to me that you did not try what Dimitri suggested
but something else (saltDiffusion=.FALSE., I guess).
If you do exactly what was suggested (or just saltStepping=.FALSE.),
the model will not computed anything for salinity,
will take less time, but will keep writing salinity output files.

Jean-Michel