[MITgcm-support] eta at OBCS

Stefano Querin squerin at ogs.trieste.it
Wed Oct 19 11:15:22 EDT 2005

Hi Ming,
just some hints (I'm a bit busy in these days, sorry...).
There are many mails about eta and OBCs: try to find them on the mitgcm
website, you will find lots of informations.
Anyway, if you need to impose eta on the OB (i.e. external tidal
forcing...), I suggest you to convert the sea surface elevation (eta) into
barotropic velocity (Vbaro) "offline":

Vbaro=c*eta/H

c=(gH)**1/2

g: gravity acc.;
H: water column heigth;
c: celerity of small (compared to the water column heigth: eta<<H) amplitude
perturbations.

It is also possible to impose u, v, w, T, S and eta as well: you have to
customize some routines (I modified obcs_prescribe_read.F , exf_set_obcs.F ,
obcs_readparms.F , OBCS.h , OBCS_OPTIONS.h  in such a way to be able to read
OBeta values from files). Remember to set  #define NONLIN_FRSURF in
CPP_OPTIONS.h and nonLinFreeSurf~=0 in data (if I remeber correctly...): in
this case you must run only in hydrostatic mode.

If you need a radiation condition on the OB: Orlanski OBC does not control
the inflow/outflow in the domain so you could obtain a very anomalous
increase/decrease in the sea surface level (for example, try to run the
plume on slope verification experiment for a longer period)!

If there is something wrong, please someone correct me!
Good luck!

Stefano