[MITgcm-support] [MITgcm Manual] section 3.2 Obtaining the code

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Oct 11 13:49:07 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-11 at 10:49 -0400, Leonardo Uribe wrote:
> Hi:
>
> My name is Leonardo Uribe from Caracas, Venezuela. I am downloading
> the MITgcm to revise it and propably to apply it.
>
> Using WinCVS to download there is a problem because the system
> requires rights to write in the repository. May you suggest me what to
> do.

Hi Leonardo,

I've subscribed you to the MITgcm-support list so that your emails will
now be automatically accepted.

In answer to your questions, MITgcm does run on Win32 systems within the
free cygwin environment:

  http://www.cygwin.com/

which also contains a version of CVS which will work nicely with the CVS
"pserver" mode.  The error that you're probably seeing with your WinCVS
client is it trying to connect using "ext" mode.  Please switch to the
cygwin environment and things will probably work.

Or, even better, switch to Linux or Unix!  The vast majority of MITgcm
users and developers are running some sort of Linux or Unix-like (MacOS)
environment so its what we can most easily support.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307