[MITgcm-support] pkg/exf climtemp

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 24 01:18:12 EST 2005

Tom,

oh, oh, you stumbled over some unfinished code.
3dim. relaxation is not implemented all the way to the end.

Unlike for SST, SSS, no fields in the MITgcm kernel exist
for theta*, salt* onto which exf_mapfields.F would map its
fields climtemp, climsalt.
(exf_mapfields maps from the exf variables to the
MITgcm kernel variables to keep the two well separated).

The decisive routine where the relax. would take place
and the field is needed is model/src/external_forcing.F
I'll try to hack something for you tomorrow.

-Patrick

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 15:26, Thomas Haine wrote:
> I don't understand how to use "climtemp" relaxation (in
> checkpoint57w_post). I set the params in data.exf_clim, data, STDOUT
> says CLIMTEMP RELAXATION is on OK, and it reads my files. But my
> temperatures do not relax to the prescribed values. Browsing the code I
> see nowhere that variable climtemp is actually used in pkg/exf (or
> elsewhere).
>
> What am I missing?  How do I implement T, S relaxation to a prescribed
> 4D field?
>
> Thanks, Tom.
Patrick Heimbach   Massachusetts Institute of Technology
FON: +1/617/253-5259                  EAPS, Room 54-1518
FAX: +1/617/253-4464             77 Massachusetts Avenue
mailto:heimbach at mit.edu               Cambridge MA 02139
http://www.mit.edu/~heimbach/                        USA