[MITgcm-support] pressure from MITgcm

Sergey Vinogradov svinogra at aer.com
Mon Nov 21 11:28:31 EST 2005

Hi All!

    Jean-Michel: I attached my data file. I experimented with changing
eos from poly3 to linear and it had no noticeable changes in the
results. However, I didn't try anything else. I guess my offline density
computations can have some flaws: I don't interpolate vertical density
integral; I use constant density for the whole layer instead. I use some
old seawater eos subroutines.
    Following Dimitris suggestion, I have added Pbar(t) to the pressure
computation from density, also replacing the full sea-surface height
with just the dynamic signal (dynamic signal = full ssh minus inverted
barometer response). This changed the picture (see attached plot),
bringing the offline pressure computation closer to one that was
computed from totPhiHyd. Still, there is a significant difference in HF.
I'm not sure if this would be the nonlinearity effect of  hydrostatic
equation, as Martin suggests. Another thing I noticed that the pressure
variability stays almost the same for all vertical layers, which implies
a strong surface trapping of the atmospheric pressure load. Did anyone
have somewhat similar results?
    Thanks a lot,

Sergey