[MITgcm-support] pressure from MITgcm

Sergey Vinogradov svinogra at aer.com
Fri Nov 18 15:32:53 EST 2005

Hi folks!

Did anyone compare the pressure profiles computed from hydrostatic
anomaly ('PH' output) and from density?
I'm using atm. loading with MITgcm. In order to compute the full
pressure at the center of k-th layer, I can either get it from T and S
through density: p (rho) = rho0*g*eta + g* J (rho*dz), or, use the PH
output (phiHydC variable), which, according to previous correspondence
with Martin and Dimitris, can also give me the full pressure (at k-th
layer):
p (PH) = rhoConst*PH(k) + g*rhoConst*D(k)
Notations are: rho0 - surface density; g-gravity; eta-full sea-surface
elevation; dz-layer thicknesses; rhoConst - reference density; D -
central depths of layers; J - integral from cell center depth to the
surface.
I get different variability from these two methods (see attached
fragment of timeseries sampled at some layer). Other than the difference
in eos that I use for density computations, what may be the reason for
discrepancy in the variability between these two pressure computations?
Am I missing something?

Thanks,

--
Sergey Vinogradov, Ph.D.