[MITgcm-support] Grid

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Nov 14 15:31:30 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 10:30 +0000, Nataliya Stashchuk wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Please can anybody help me with the question about how many grid
> points can be used in X, Y and Z in MITgcm?
>
> Is their any restriction on the number X*Y*Z in the model or it is
> only depends on the computer?

Hi Nataliya,

The maximum number of grid cells that you can use depends mainly upon
the available memory of your system (RAM + swap).

Other things that might limit you are your available disk space, your
compiler and/or hardware (32-bit vs. 64-bit memory addressing), and the
speed of your processor(s) (a very large problem might "fit" on a
particular system but it may run too slow to be usable).

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307