[MITgcm-support] problem with compilation

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Nov 8 23:44:27 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 14:22 -0800, jeff polton wrote:
> Ed,
> Commenting out DEFINE='-DWORDLENGTH=4' does improve things.
> Here's what happens now:
> % ../../../tools/genmake2 -make=gmake -mods=../code
> -of=../../../compile/code/mstewart

Hi Jeff,

Google-ing for the terms:

  "command option" "contains an incorrect subargument"

turned up at least part of your problem.  Some of the tests inside
genmake2 unnecessarily passed the $DEFINES as command-line arguments to
the Fortran compiler.  Most compilers can handle that syntax but
apparently your IBM compiler can't.

So I just checked in a fix to genmake2.  Could you please do the
following:

  1) get a copy of the *very* latest genmake2 from our CVS

  2) uncomment (that is, make active like it originally was)
     the DEFINES='-DWORDLENGTH=4' line within your optfile

  3) re-run the entire build process from scratch:
       genmake2 ...
       make depend
       make

And if that produces more errors then please send them here and we'll
keep working on it.  But I know that we've fixed at least one problem
that you've encountered and thats encouraging.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307