[MITgcm-support] Re: Problems with MITgcm server

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu May 26 17:03:58 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 08:51 -0400, Alistair Adcroft wrote:
> The problem is a little more extensive than CVS; all ports in
> csail.mit.edu are blocked from GFDL (i.e. http://mitgcm.org or ssh
> soyinka.csail.mit.edu never finish connecting to the server).
>
> It's as if somewhere along the line someone has added csail.mit.edu to a
> filter ... I'm asking whether it's at our end. However, if Stefano is
> suffering from it too then it is likely to be a problem elsewhere.

Hi Alistair,

I can understand why they would block *incoming* traffic, but blocking
outgoing like that is very unfriendly.  Its not as if mitgcm.org is a
known pr0n, spam, or phishing domain.  ;-)

As a quick test, you can run:

  /usr/sbin/traceroute mitgcm.org

from any Linux machine to see if or even where the blocking occurs if
the blocking is indeed a "drop all packets destined for _______" rule.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD