[MITgcm-support] ptracer BOTTOM boundary condition

Petter Stenström petters at kth.se
Thu May 26 03:34:29 EDT 2005

Samar/Martin,

I'm trying to implement a bottom boundary condition in gchem to simulate
resuspension of sediments. Does the time stepping issues that you discuss
apply here too, and in particular, inconsistency issues between k=Nr and
k=Nr-1?

I was not planning to use gchem_forcing_sep, but only gchem_forcing_int,
as I expect to use the same time step for all dynamics.

The sediment is the regular tracer equation, just with a settling term
added. The bottom boundary condition is of the form:

C*w_sink - diff_z*(dC/dz) = Q

where Q is the source term that gives sedimentation or resuspension
depending on the force balances at the bottom.

Have you done this before, or do you have a good idea of difficulties and
pitfalls?

/Petter