[MITgcm-support] Re: Problems with MITgcm server

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon May 23 15:47:38 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 12:01 -0400, Baylor Fox-Kemper wrote:
> I've got a request in with OPs at GFDL.  No reply yet...

Hi Baylor, Chris, Alistair, Stefano, & Patrick,

Did I include all the names on this thread?  ;-)

In any case, I've taken another look at CVS and I'm convinced that the
problem is on the client end.  That is, outside networks (eg. GFDL) are
interrupting the CVS traffic.  Which is annoying since theres not a lot
we can do to "magically" make the problem go away from *our* end.

So, heres one work-around:

 1) Do your CVS checkouts to a machine ("AAA") that *is*
    working with our CVS server.  We can even provide you with
    an account on our authors network so this will be local and
    very fast.

 2) Then use a tool such as rsync-over-ssh to copy it to GFDL
    or where ever ("BBB") it is thats giving you trouble.  The
    rsync syntax is:

     rsync -l -t -x -v -e ssh -r AAA:/some/dir/ BBB:/other/dir/

 3) Keep the directories on AAA and BBB "in sync" with rsync as
    you use CVS, make edits, etc.

And heres another, slicker, one:

 1) Use SSH port-forwarding to bypass the dim-witted GFDL^H^H^H^H
    network admins:

      ssh -L 82401:mitgcm.org:2401 mitgcm.org 'sleep 36000' &
      export CVSROOT=':pserver:cvsanon at localhost:8401/u/gcmpack'
      cvs login
        <=== cvsanon
      cvs co MITgcm

I just tried the latter and it works quite nicely -- at least until the
'sleep 36000' times out or is killed at which point you'll have to run
it again to keep that port forward happening.  ;-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307