[MITgcm-support] Re: single layer run

Baylor Fox-Kemper baylor at MIT.EDU
Fri May 13 11:51:25 EDT 2005

I agree with Jason that eventually, all motion will die.   However,
much could occur in the interim...The time scales are, roughly in order
for small viscosity and drag:

L/sqrt(g*H) for surface gravity wave radiation, kelvin wave
propagation, and tsunamis

1/f for (nearly inviscid geostrophic flow adjustment to inertial
oscillations about the final state)

1/grad(U) for the growth rate of barotropic instabilities off of the
inertially-oscillating flow

L_basin/(beta*L^2) is the timescale for the Rossby wave to propagate
west, send a kelvin wave around the basin and radiate from the eastern
boundary to fill the hole (although it will not produce a steady state
when it gets there unless friction acts).

1/r for bottom drag (r is bottom drag, in time^-1 units)

L^2/nu for lateral friction (L is scale of pressure anomaly, nu is
viscosity)

So, you can see that if there is very little friction, interesting
things may happen at first, but eventually the friction will slow
everything down to a motionless state.  The degree to which the initial
adjustment will be geostrophic rather than tsunami-like, should depend
on the magnitude of the initial pressure change, I suppose.  If
U/sqrt(gH) > 1, then you get a hydraulic jump and a tsunami carries a
lot of fluid away, else if U<<sqrt(gH) the gravity waves don't carry
away much fluid, only energy and the geostrophic adjustment and
subsequent ageostrophic resettlement wins.

Cheers,
-Baylor