[MITgcm-support] Re: Restart after changing deltatT

samar khatiwala spk at ldeo.columbia.edu
Thu May 5 14:26:29 EDT 2005

Hi Jean-Michel

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Jean-Michel Campin wrote:

> If I understand correctly, you are starting from t=5000.y
> (nIter0=3600000, deltaT=1200, basetime=151200000000
>  => startTime=155520000000 = 5000.y) and you set the
> pChkptFreq to 15.y ;
> the 1rst multiple of 15.y after t=5000.y is t=5010.y,
> and it's what you get. Is it right ?

That is indeed correct, and I see what you are getting at, but its
obviously not the behavior I was expecting. Shouldn't model time
be measured relative to baseTime (or perhaps startTime). In which case
t=(5015-5000)=15 is a multiple of 15 y. Based on what you are saying, it
would appear that the correct dumps I now get is simply fortituous!
If I had picked a dump freq of 6 years as opposed to 5 years,
I'd be back to square one.

For now, I am going to fudge by setting nIter=0, renaming the pickup
files, and setting pickupsuff in data.

Samar