[MITgcm-support] Restart after changing deltatT

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Mon May 2 19:03:05 EDT 2005

Hi Samar,

I move to the support list since it might be of interest for many users.

I just added "baseTime" recently, that should make this restart easier:
the time that is used to decided when to write output is now:
clock-time = baseTime + delatTclock * iteration_number

The default is baseTime=0 ;
You can set it in file "data", namelist PARM03 ;
or it will be set automatically when startTime & nIter0
are both specified (in file "data") but are not in the ratio of
deltaTclock.

In your case you can either:
1) figure out what "baseTime" is:
0 + 43200*1080000 = baseTime + 1200*1080000
  => baseTime=45360000000
2) or just specify:
 nIter0=1080000
 startTime=46656000000  (=43200*1080000)
But in this case, you will have carry both nIter0 & startTime
for any of the next restart (if the second part of your run is long
and cut in shorter segments).

It's a new feature, not yet extensively tested, so please report any
problem you see.

Thanks,

Jean-Michel