[MITgcm-support] Re: pressure forcing in mitgcm

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Mon May 2 03:11:54 EDT 2005

Hi Sergey,
I cc'ed this email to mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org

In z-coordinates, atmospheric pressure forcing acts at the surface as
an additive quantity  so that the variable phiHyd (hydrostatic pressure
anomaly) "feels" it throughout the entire water column. The code has
changed a lot since I implemented the surface pressure forcing term so
that took me a little while to figure out where is it now added, but I
think it is in
model/src/calc_grad_phi_hyd.F
where phi0surf is added to phiHydC in every layer.

Martin