[MITgcm-support] Global_ocean query

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 17 09:48:23 EST 2005

> Earlier the model was blowing up when I was putting
> the value of viscAh = 5.E5 but when I changed it to
> viscAh = 0.3E5 in the data file the model executed
> well with a Normal End.

Amitabh congratulations!  I admire your persistence.

Do you use matlab?  If so take a look at:
http://mitgcm.org/pelican/online_documents/node95.html

Also in the documentation, chapter 3, for example:
http://mitgcm.org/pelican/online_documents/node109.html#SECTION004102100000000000000
there's a discussion of numerical stability criteria.

Another approach is to use parameters from previous
experiments that are similar to yours, for example:
http://mitgcm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MITgcm/verification/global1x1_tot/input/
and then fine tune through trial and error.

D.

--
Dimitris Menemenlis <menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov>
Jet Propulsion Lab, California Institute of Technology