[MITgcm-support] viscAh & viscAz!

Van Thinh Nguyen vtnguyen at moisie.math.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jun 29 12:22:41 EDT 2005

Dear MITgcm-supporters & users,

I am using MITgcm to simulate internal waves in a tilting tank ( a
closed rectangular tank (4000x10x40) m with a slope of pycnocline, it may
consider as a 2 two layers model with temperatures of upper/lower are 18/10 C degree,
without wind force!).

When I used:
viscAh=1.E-4 and viscAz=1.E-4 (with diffKhT=2.E-6 and diffKzT=1.E-7).
It worked ok.

But when I changed to viscAh=2.E-6 and viscAz=2.E-6, I got an extreme
noise. I even reduced to very small time steps and changed the model to
4/5 layers in depth (Temp.=18/16/14/12/10).

If anyone would know how can I improve this noise, please give an advice.

Thanks so much for your helps. I attached herewith my data file!

Van Thinh