[MITgcm-support] diagnostics pkg

eliyahu biton eliyahu.biton at weizmann.ac.il
Mon Jun 27 07:07:50 EDT 2005

Hello everyone!

I tried to use the 'diagnostics' pkg  to  output  the heat and fresh
water fluxes (i.e sensible / latent heat, net LW/SW radiation  and
evaporation from the surface) which are calculated within 'exf' pkg.

According to the following steps:
1. I added 'diagnostics' to the 'packages.conf' file in my 'code' directory.
2. I turned on the flag 'useDIAGNOSTICS=.TRUE.' in the 'data.pkg' file
(which is in my input directory).
3. And finally I added the following 'data.diagnostics' file to the
input directory:
 # Diagnostic Package Choices
 &diagnostics_list
  frequency(1) = 25920,
   levels(1,1) = 1.,
   fields(1,1) = 'RADSWG  ',
   filename(1) = 'netswrad',
  frequency(2) = 25920,
   levels(1,2) = 1.,
   fields(1,2) = 'HFLUX   ',
   filename(2) = 'latent',
  frequency(3) = 25920,
   levels(1,3) = 1.,
   fields(1,3) = 'EVAP    ',
   filename(3) = 'evaporat',
  frequency(4) = 25920,
   levels(1,4) = 1.,
   fields(1,4) = 'EFLUX   ',
   filename(4) = 'sensible',
 frequency(5) = 25920,
   levels(1,5) = 1.,
   fields(1,5) = 'RADLWG  ',
   filename(5) = 'netlwrad',
 &end

The model ran well and gave me all the requested output, but all of the
diagnostics output have the same values (exactly the same file but with
different input names).
Furthermore, the diagnostics output file is cut in the middle (see the
attached file sensible.0000000003.data, evaporat.0000000003.data for
example).

the 'ordinary' output files, like SST, U, V etc are ok.

More information which may help:
2. Used version: MITgcm_checkpoint56.
1. Used packages: oceanic, exf, cal, obcs, timeave, kpp, and  I'm
running with atmospheric external forcing (air temperature, wind,
specific humidity etc..).
I also attached some relevant output files (diagnostics 'sensible',
'netlwrad' and 'normal' output file 'tFluxtave' (calculated at the
'timeave' pkg)) which are ok.

any idea what I did wrong ?

many thanks, Eli.

--