[MITgcm-support] query ?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Thu Jun 16 03:05:19 EDT 2005

Hi there,
I repeat: the plotting routines are really only an example and at most
a starting point for your own set of plotting routines.

deltaTclock/deltaTtracer:
I don't think that having different values for deltaTtracer and
deltaTclock is a good idea. deltaTclock is the "real" time step in the
model: based on deltaTclock, forcing fields are loaded and output is
written, etc. Having a different deltaTtracer means that you use a
different timestep for your tracer equations than for your forcing
fields, something you probably do not want. [In the case of deltaTmom
and deltaTtracer this is the desired behavior (for spin-up integrations
only), in order to speed-up the equilibrations times for for temparture
and salinity distribution in the deep ocean. Have a look at the
relevant papers (Bryan 1984, JPO, and more recently Danabasoglu 2004,
Ocean Modelling, etc.) to understand how that works.]

I personally would make sure that for asynchronous time stepping
deltaTclock=deltaTtracer and for synchonous timestepping
deltaTclock=deltaT (by not setting deltaTclock in data!!).

Also, as written in the data file of global_ocean.90x40x15, I recommend
setting deltaTfreesurf=deltaTtracer, if you use an model version >
checkpoint45.

Hope that helps,
Martin