[MITgcm-support] rhoConst and rhoNil

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Wed Jun 15 02:10:33 EDT 2005

Hi Andy,

what is the default value for rhoNil? 999.8kg/m^3, I think. In the
Boussinesq approximation you replace \rho*\vec{u} in the momentum
equations by \rho_{0}\vec{u}, where \rho_{0}=rhoConst should be a
reference density, that is something like the mean density or some
other representative value. If you are willing to accept that
999.8kg/m^3 is this representative density of your fluid then, there is
no reason setting rhoConst in data. I usually set it to 1035kg/m^3, but
that's not really the mean density (of the ocean) either, so I would
say: no, there is little reason not to leave rhoConst unset. It
shouldn't matter whether you scale your equation with 999.8/1000/1035.
I am sure that Jean-Michel can think of a reason, though?

Martin