[MITgcm-support] Pb with compilation: make:

Nicolas Wienders wienders at ocean.fsu.edu
Wed Jun 8 09:48:28 EDT 2005

Mornin' Ed and all,

>So, I have a better fix!  I just checked into CVS a new genmake2 option
>that completely throws out the C/Fortran linking problem by removing the
>offending timing code.  This will disable your ability to get "wall
>time" information about your runs but its just not as important as
>completing the actual runs, right?

Very right!!!!!!

>So, here are the steps:
>
>  1) get a fresh copy of the very latest from CVS:
>
>       cvs co MITgcm
>
>  2) build with the new "-ignore_time" option:
>
>       cd MITgcm/verification/YOUR_TEST/build
>       ../../../tools/genmake2 -ignore_time ...YOUR_OTHER_OPTIONS...
>       make depend
>       make

Smiles, smiles, smiles, i could compile and run a few examples.
Thank you so much for your help.

Attached is the option file i have used.

And by the way looking at the opt file, i just realized why we might had
this problem:

# **NOTES**
#   o with Darwin you must remember to build on a ufs file system. The
default Darwin file system (hfs) treats
#     upper case and lower case file names as the same file. This breaks
the current MITgcm build procedure.
#   o tim.c should use uembellished cloc() are the procedure name for XLF
#     ETIME (timers.F) and FDATE (utils.F) are not available with
Darwin+XLF so need to be switched out.
#

The same problem will be present when we upgrade to tiger i believe,
unless we format the disk
with the case sensitive option. I am correct?

One more question, sorry to be a pain, do you think there is any hope
that i might
be able to compile using the GNU fortran compilers?

Thanks again and have a great day.

--

Nicolas Wienders                 (850) 644-1987 (office)
Oceanography - OSB415              294-3542 (cell)
Tallahassee, FL - 32306    wienders at ocean.fsu.edu