[MITgcm-support] Pb with compilation: make:

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jun 6 15:52:28 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 15:29 -0400, samar khatiwala wrote:
> Nicolas
>
> A couple of suggestions. In your optfile, use:
>
> FFLAGS='-qfixed=132 -qextname -qsave=all'
> MAKEDEPEND='/usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend'

Hi Samar,

Please stop using the totally non-portable '-qfixed=132' option and
please don't encourage others to make the same mistake.  If people get
used to using 132 columns then its a pain having to clean up their non-
standard code when (or if) they eventually try to get it included back
into the main model.  And this is *exactly* what happened in your case.

Also, encouraging the use of MAKEDEPEND='/usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend' is
OK but it would be better if people tried the "cyrus-imapd" version
first because its included with MITgcm and we know that it works on a
large number of different systems.  The /usr/X11R6/bin/makedepend binary
only exists on machines that have a full X development environment and a
lot of machines (even Linux boxes) just don't have those bits installed.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307