[MITgcm-support] query ?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Sat Jun 4 07:02:24 EDT 2005

I agree with David, that the problem with the PAOBS data is not what's
causing these strange heat transports. Trenberth uses the data from
1979 to 1993 for his analysis, so exactly from the problematic period.
I have now downloaded 56*12=672 monthy averages from
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NOAA/.NCEP-NCAR/.CDAS-1/
.MONTHLY/.Diagnostic/.surface/
I averaged the monthly data into yearly averages and computed the
meridional heat transport for each year. The result is attached: Until
1975 the heat flux is northward, from 1975 to 1993 its southward then
northward again. (and never really balanced). When you average over the
entire period you get the second plot that I have attached. In the same
plot an average over 1985 to 1989 (red curve). If you compare that to
Trenberth etal (2001,Climate Dynamics), figure 13 you'll see that this
curve looks very much like what Trenberth calls "NCEP model" in his
figure 13 (middle panel). I guess I still haven't understood what the
difference between "derived fluxes" and "model fluxes" are. But I think
we know now that, what I have been using and what in the repository for
global_ocean.90x40x15 and similar experiments are the "NCEP model
fluxes" which have a dramatic bias!