[MITgcm-support] query ?

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Fri Jun 3 10:28:22 EDT 2005

Citing Trenberth+Caron (2001):
"There was a problem with the NCEP reanalyses that affected the quality
of the reanonlyses over the SH (see Kistler etal. 2001). The problem
arose from the assimilatioin of the Austrailan Surface Pressure Bogus
Data for the SH (known as 'PAOBS', see
http://wesly.wwb.noaa.gov/paobs/paobs.html) in which the observations
were errorneously shifted by 180deg in longitude, affectin 1979-92
(14yr). [...] The problem is likely to affect results over the southern
oceans."

Based on this I was going to generate climatological means excluding
this period and see, whether that helps. However, Trenberth and Caron
use data from that period (see their fig5, for example) and the zonal
integral does not seem to have any obvious problems). I'll tell you
more later.

Martin