[MITgcm-support] cal pkg, OSX, absoft f77, and pragma

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jul 29 10:39:12 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 21:21 -0500, m. r. schaferkotter wrote:
> greetings:
> i/m trying to build MITgcm with the cal pkg on OSX 10.3 with absoft f77
> compiler.
> the files build on linux with linux_ia32_pgf77 without incident.
>
> i/m using a build_option file darwin_absoft_f77

Hi "m. r.",

I found your problem.

> the build stops with:
>
> cat cal_addtime.F | /Users/schaferk/MITgcm/tools/set64bitConst.sh |
> /usr/bin/cpp -traditional -P -DWORDLENGTH=4 -I. > cal_addtime.for
> /Applications/Absoft/bin/f77 -w -W -f -N15 -N113 -q  -O -U -c
> cal_addtime.for
>   error on line 1 of cal_addtime.for: illegal syntax
>   error on line 1 of cal_addtime.for: illegal syntax
>   error on line 1 of : too many continuation lines
>   error on line 0 of : spelling error?
>   error on line 359 of : RETURN statement in main program unit
>
> make: *** [cal_addtime.o] Error 1
>
> cat  cal_addtime.for
>
> #pragma GCC set_debug_pwd
> "/Users/schaferk/MITgcm-expt/LUZ/expt_01.0/build"
> C $Header: /u/gcmpack/MITgcm/pkg/cal/cal_addtime.F,v 1.3 2003/10/20
> 06:25:16 dimitri Exp $
> C $Name:  $

The above error is identical to:

  http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229728

and is described at

  http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/GCC3.html

and its caused by the "brilliant" folks at Apple adding their non-
standard "Xcode" junk to the version of GCC that they distribute.  The
documentation says:

  "The GCC 3.3 preprocessor inserts a new pragma, #pragma GCC
   set_debug_pwd, as part of the new Distributed Builds feature.
   (See below.) This may surprise tools and scripts that depended
   on the exact form of preprocessed output from GCC. These
   scripts should be rewritten to ignore unrecognized pragmas."

so I guess we'll have to add something to get rid of those extra #pragma
statements since I can't (in their on-line documentation, anyway) find
an option that gets rid of them for us.

Attached is a modified version of the "set64bitConst.sh" script that
should fix your "#pragma" problems.  Please give it a try.

And if you can find an option that gets rid of the annoying #pragma's
that would be even better -- and please tell us about it!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307